I finally decided on a replacement for Frontier Cable TV. I’ve been using YouTube TV for about 2 1/2 months. It’s pretty responsive compared to Hulu TV. It’s fairly flexible in recording content. It supports multiple profiles with separate recording of programs. It’s still slow compared to cable TV in starting up, changing channels, or starting a recorded program.
You lose all the cable boxes in favor of an Apple TV, Android TV, Roku or Samsung Smart TV. I already had a 4th generation Apple TV, a Roku Tv and a Sony Bravia Android TV. I needed no new devices.
It lack access to Scripps Networks and Discovery Communications programming like HGTV, Travel Channel, Discovery, TLC and Food Network. Hopefully this can be corrected by YouTube coming to and agreement with the content owners. Right now it leaves something of a hole in their programming. We work around it by using the HGTV and Food Network apps to catch at least some of their shows.
Sports and News offerings are more rounded than the lifestyle offerings. Plenty of ESPN and cable news networks are available.
All in all it wasn’t as clean of a transition as I wanted, but we do get most of what we want and have saved money compared to the the TV service from Frontier or Comcast. We do still use Frontier FIOS to support it.
Let’s hope the FCC’s recent decision to gut network neutrality rules doesn’t mean my internet carrier will slow my YouTube TV service just because they can’t extort additional payments from consumers to make up for their horrible business model collapsing under its own weight. It does mean they can and the question becomes when will they?
A bed of arugula, garden fresh peppers and tomatoes. The tuna was about a 6 once portion and an inch thick. It’s seasoned with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic powder and onion powder. I cooked in a hot non-stick pan for just 2-3 minutes per side. I use a little balsamic glaze to dress it. From “what can I have for lunch” to completion only took about 10 minutes. Simple, fresh, delicious…
This is great, I’ve had twice this week. The calabasa is rather like a small green pumpkin and resembles an acorn squash, but with somewhat softer flesh that cooks more quickly. Magic Sarap is a flavor enhancer that contains MSG, feel free to omit is you’re sensitive to it. Long beans resemble 18″ long green beans. We sometimes substitute regular green beans, if they can’t be found at our usual exotic grocery, MD Oriental in Tampa.
- 1 1/2 cup cubed calabasa (Asian squash)
- 6 – 8 long beans cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon or less of sugar, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Magic Sarap seasoning
- Shrimp paste (bagoong)
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomato and 1/2 cup of water to help them steam. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the calabasa and Magic Sarap. Simmer until the calabasa is tender. It cooks faster than pumpkin or acorn squash, give it 10-15 minutes.
- Top with some crushed chicharron pieces and serve.
Served with smoked bangus and rice
We did this Filipino style vegetable dish. It’s simple, low calorie and tasty! I ate it before I thought of taking a picture. Maybe next time. I swear I know how to cook other things, I’m just on this Filipino kick lately. It’s under appreciated.
- 2 Chinese eggplants
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- Onion, 1/4 cup chopped
- 1 tablespoon or to taste of Filipino shrimp paste (bagoong), I use spicy from Barrio Fiesta. That’s the best we can find near by.
- Pierce the eggplants a few times on each side with a fork and grill or cook under a broiler until the skin just begins to split, about 4 minutes per side.
- While that’s cooking seed and chop the tomato and onion and mix with the bagoong. Salt to taste if needed, the bagoong is pretty salty by itself.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape the meat from the skin. Chop it up and top with the tomato mixture.
This is the best science fiction show on TV right now. I just saw it popped back up on my DVR. It’s got great production values, political intrigue and a multilayered story line. I’m catching up with the first two episodes right now. It’s available on their on demand service thru your cable provider, the Syfy app on iOS, TVOS, Roku and AndroidTV.
Another good guy with a gun? We’re going encourage more people to carry guns at schools, look forward to more of this…
Man demonstrating gun safety accidentally shoots 3 girls, deputies say
— Read on www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2018/04/24/man-demonstrating-gun-safety-accidentally-shoots-3-girls–deputies-say