This is great, I’ve had twice this week. The calabasa is rather like a small green pumpkin and resembles an acorn squash, but with somewhat softer fresh that cooks more quickly. Magic Sarap is a flavor enhancer that contains MSG, feel free to omit is you’re sensitive to it. Long beans resemble 18″ long green beans. We sometimes substitute regular green beans, if they can’t be found at our usual exotic grocery, MD Oriental in Tampa.
- 1 1/2 cup cubed calabasa (Asian squash)
- 6 – 8 long bean cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon or less of sugar, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Magic Sarap seasoning
- Shrimp paste (bagoong)
- Sauté the onion and garlic for a 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomato and 1/2 cup of water to help them steam. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the calabasa and Magic Sarap. Simmer until the calabasa is tender. It cooks faster than pumpkin or acorn squash, give it 10-15 minutes.
- Top with some crushed chicharron pieces and serve.
- Served smoked bangus and rice