We’re doing some cooking for company tonight:
- Cuban Mojo Pork – Marinated since Tuesday in mojo.
- Bicol Express – That’s a good recipe, but the wife has her own take, plus we can’t get proper Siling Tagalog (Filipino finger peppers) so we go with Thai chilis, just less of them because they are rather hot.
- Spring Rolls – From the local asian market Sanwa
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa – That’s a very similar recipe but we go our own way with the seasoning on the shrimp. Sometimes it’s cajun, sometimes Jamaican jerk, depending on my mood.
- Cuban Black Beans & Rice – No recipe, just lots of garlic, onion, cumin, salt & black pepper.
- Filipino Leche Flan – This is Jeng’s own recipe. It uses a bit of lime zest and has the best texture from using only egg yolks. The recipe can’t be divulged mostly because I don’t know it. Although if I did I think it would result in serious bodily injury. I bruise easily. 🙂
- Mango Cake – This one is my creation. I use yellow cake mix. Substitute mango nectar in place of water. I also reduce about a cup of mango nectar with the juice and zest of a lime and a pinch of ginger powder, pinch of salt and sugar to taste. Fresh mango slices are arranged neatly in the bottom of a 10″ round springform pan, then topped with the mango reduction, followed by cake batter. Bake at 350℉ until a toothpick comes out cleanly, about 35 -40 minutes. Let it cool no more than 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan so the mangos are warm enough to release from the pan.
Yummy! Pictures will follow…