For those who claim this is a narrow ruling an unlikely to be expanded. The court ordered review of 3 cases, all of which object to any contraceptive services. 5 old catholic men just gave carte blanche to slamming the door on basic health care.
Cases ordered reconsidered in appeals courts:
Autocam Corp. v. Burwell. The Catholic owners of a Michigan company that manufactures products for the auto and medical supply industries objected to all forms of services covered by the mandate. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit rejected claims on behalf both of the owners and of their company separately. The Supreme Court vacated that ruling and ordered a new look under Hobby Lobby.
via Wider impact of Hobby Lobby ruling? : SCOTUSblog.
Prisons are terrible, and there’s finally a way to get rid of them
Prisons are huge drain of society families and budgets on all levels of government. We’re a world leader in incarcerating our own people. It’s a horrible waste of lives and treasure.
Fox Host Bombarded With Hate Mail After Testy Interview With Bachmann.
He was acting like a journalist, shocking the average Fox viewing codger.
Definitely a proud daddy moment. Sophia had her picture selected for display at the John F. Germany Public Library in Tampa. It was selected as the best work by a first grader in Hillsborough County School System, the eighth largest in the country. That’s out of about 2000 first graders in the system. Go Sophia!
We’re doing some cooking for company tonight:
- Cuban Mojo Pork – Marinated since Tuesday in mojo.
- Bicol Express – That’s a good recipe, but the wife has her own take, plus we can’t get proper Siling Tagalog (Filipino finger peppers) so we go with Thai chilis, just less of them because they are rather hot.
- Spring Rolls – From the local asian market Sanwa
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa – That’s a very similar recipe but we go our own way with the seasoning on the shrimp. Sometimes it’s cajun, sometimes Jamaican jerk, depending on my mood.
- Cuban Black Beans & Rice – No recipe, just lots of garlic, onion, cumin, salt & black pepper.
- Filipino Leche Flan – This is Jeng’s own recipe. It uses a bit of lime zest and has the best texture from using only egg yolks. The recipe can’t be divulged mostly because I don’t know it. Although if I did I think it would result in serious bodily injury. I bruise easily. 🙂
- Mango Cake – This one is my creation. I use yellow cake mix. Substitute mango nectar in place of water. I also reduce about a cup of mango nectar with the juice and zest of a lime and a pinch of ginger powder, pinch of salt and sugar to taste. Fresh mango slices are arranged neatly in the bottom of a 10″ round springform pan, then topped with the mango reduction, followed by cake batter. Bake at 350℉ until a toothpick comes out cleanly, about 35 -40 minutes. Let it cool no more than 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan so the mangos are warm enough to release from the pan.
Yummy! Pictures will follow…
The outcome of the USA vs GER match is moot. Good thing since they lost 0 – 1.